MacPherson, R.J.G. DCS RN

Birth Name MacPherson, R.J.G. DCS RN [1a]
Gender male


Event Date Place Description Notes Sources

Military Service   Royal Navy RN, HM Armed Forces, United Kingdom Ministry of Defence MoD  

Boat   HMS Childers (R91), Royal Navy  

Event Note

R.G.S. MacPherson served as Flotilla Gunnery Officer aboard HMS Childers.

Military Action July 18, 1947 יציאת אירופה Exodus 1947 אקסודוס תש"ז USS President Warfield Exodus 1947 אקסודוס תש"ז was intercepted and boarded by men from HMS Childers

Event Note

Captain Tony Bailey, served as Commander aboard HMS Childers, one of the six British destroyers which intercepted Exodus 1947 אקסודוס תש"ז.

Event Note

Lt. R.J.G. MacPherson commanded the Exodus 1947 boarding party.
Ninian Stewart cites: "His instructions were to gain control of the Wheelhouse, then clear the Top and Upper Promenade decks from for'ard to aft and establish a 'citadel' at that level. Once those tasks were completed, control was to be gained, using a strong party, first of the steering engine, to ensure it was not tampered with, and then the engine room."
In his operational report, Lt. R.J.G. MacPherson cites: "It is submitted that Boarding Parties may be most strongly warned of the danger of familiarity with American Jew-runners, and especially against accepting offers of alcoholic refreshment. They are extremely plausible fellows after they have ceased opposition, and it may be forgotten that they are criminals with a decided pecuniary interest in regaining control of the vessel if they see any chance of doing so."

Event Note

Bernard Marks cites: "Mordechai Baumstein shot to death."
Berry Pinshow cites: "Mordechai Baumstein was not killed by a British bullet, rather he received a head injury when beaten with a truncheon. The British refused to allow him to receive medical treatment in Haifa and he died as a result."
John Stanley Grauel cites: "Mordecai Baumstein bled to death from a gunshot wound to the stomach. The British did not transfer him to one of their ships for a blood transfusion."
Shmuel Be'ari cites: "My job was to remain below in the engine room and I did that despite the tear gas grenades that were thrown through the ventilation pipes. We had given maximum power to the engines in our mad and hopeless race to the shore, before we would give in. We almost succeeded in doing so. Only when the British soldiers on the upper deck threatened to throw tear gas grenades on the women and children did we give in. Once caught, we were brought to Haifa and transferred to the deportation ships and we thought that we were now on our way to Cyprus. Only on the following day, 24 hours after the start of our voyage were we told that we were being sent back to France."


Source References

  1. The Royal Navy and the Palestine Patrol
    1. Page: 119
  2. The Exodus affair: Holocaust survivors and the struggle for Palestine


    1. MacPherson, R.J.G. DCS RN